Friday, May 16, 2008

Using Less Synthetic Chemicals: Hair Care

Our Motivation:
Hair care products you find in the store:
  1. Cost too much for what they actually do
  2. Contain potential toxins that go down the drain
  3. Contain ingredients that are harsh on your skin
  4. Take energy and water to produce
  5. Use too much packaging and plastic
  6. Create a cycle of overuse and dependency on products and showering
See this post on shampoo for more details.

Urban Sister:
  • What I Tried- I started the natural hair care experiment by trying Dr. Bronner's castile soap on my hair, but I couldn't get it to lather enough to work very well and I ended up having to mix it with a little normal shampoo. I then tried a handmade olive oil based soap that suds up very nicely. It cleaned well but didn't dry my hair out, and I found that I hardly needed any conditioner. My hair retained some of its natural oils, which meant that any natural waves in my hair were enhanced and even held their curl better throughout the day.
  • What I Liked- I'm going to stick with the handmade olive oil soap -- it cleans well without over-drying, and it's easy to find some that are locally made! I may have to add a drop of shampoo, or use baking soda as a cleanser, every few days to control any extra oiliness, but hopefully after enough time I will have to use it less and less.
  • Dyeing- I'd like to try some natural hair dyeing techniques for all future hair coloring. I know chamomile will lighten my hair, and I plan on researching henna and other natural dyes for going darker.
Small Town Sister:
  • What I Tried- After swearing off store bought shampoos (except for emergencies) I tried all kinds of different natural cleaners: castile soap, baking soda, and hemp soap. My hair has run the range of dry and frizzy to greasy to clean and shiny while I weaned myself off the shampoo and found what works for my hair.
  • What I Liked- My favorite has been the hemp soap bar which I can buy pretty inexpensively from a small local soap shop. It smells nice, cleans well, and is in a convenient form. My second favorite, which I still use periodically to deep clean, is the baking soda scrub followed by a vinegar and chamomile tea rinse.
  • Natural Coloring- I am also trying to stop dyeing my hair, so I have a spray bottle of chamomile tea that I apply before going out in the sun. Supposedly chamomile lightens blond hair. It works slow but I'm starting to see a difference, my roots are less noticeable.
  • Brushing- Most natural hair care regimes include brushing thoroughly with a natural bristle brush to distribute the oils. I found an inexpensive wood handled boar bristle brush at the store and gave it a whirl. It's a nice concept, but my hair is so thick it really doesn't do much for me. I have to use my plastic bristle brush to get through it. Maybe there is something a little more sturdy out there?

Other Options to Try:
  • Natural Alternatives to hair gel and hair spray
  • More Natural Coloring
  • Better Natural Bristle Brush
Bottom Line:
Natural hair products do work, but it is a slow process if you have been using conventional products. Everyone's hair and scalp is different, but there are many options available to try. For us, baking soda combined with a vinegar rinse is good for super deep cleaning, but natural soaps are best for everyday.

Look for natural biodegradable ingredients, soaps that are locally made, and products without tons of packaging. Also, get used to washing your hair less often. You will not only be doing your head a favor, but you will saving some green while being green!

No comments: