Friday, May 2, 2008

This Week from Rachel: Animals, Vegetables & Recyling

Cheap Calories- Expensive Nutrition
With all the talk of rising food costs, I was interested to see this post Our Cheap, Cheap Food about a report released on Industrial Farm Animal Production.

We spend a lower percent of our income on food than other countries. We spend less and eat more than we did 3o years ago. These trends are because of efficiencies in industrial food production by growing monocultures, using fertilizers, and big factory farming. It is also because of our unchecked use of natural resources...MORE

New Word of the Day: Biobigotry

I learned a new word today- biobigotry:
According to the article Noble Eagles, Nasty Pigeons, Biased Humans from the New York Times, biobigotry is
"...the dislike we direct toward creatures that live outdoors and generally mind their own business, but that behave in ways we find rude, irritating, selfish or contemptible."
Squirrels, starlings, sparrows, weeds...
We spend so much time cursing the 'evil' plants and animals, when forgetting that we were the ones that created the environment that they find so attractive. We degrade the habitats for the plants and animals we do like...MORE

Brand of Paper Towels is Not the Issue

I saw a product review of recycled paper towels on Grist today. After reading it, I wondered why they were focusing on the brand of paper product. They did say in parenthesis that "a dishcloth or cellulose sponge may be the greenest choice of all", but I think they should have made more of that and compared the paper towels to reusable towels, which would have passed every test they tried.

Why spend a premium for recycled paper towels that get thrown away after barely being used? Cloth Towels are stronger, longer lasting, reusable, easy to use, inexpensive, and very multipurpose.
Eco-friendly tips from my kitchen

Thrifty Shopping
Why Shop Secondhand?
  • Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...
  • Impulse Control...
  • The Hunt...
Thrifty shopping is the way to go! Don't be embarrassed when someone asks where you found that wonderful item, be proud of your thriftiness. Hopefully it will spread and catch on, and more people will shop smarter. Find a Store Near You

Recipe: Gentle Face Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
If itchy-red-bumpy skin sounds familiar, you might be in the same boat I am. I have very sensitive skin, and it definitely lets me know when it doesn't like something.

After a particularly bad flare-up earlier this year, where anything I put on my face (cheap or expensive) irritated my skin, I went on a quest for something gentle and natural (and not too expensive of course).

I found a recipe for a natural cleanser for sensitive skin made with baking soda and oatmeal. I happened to have both ingredients in my kitchen, so I tried it, and it really worked great! It smells good and feels really nice and gentle on my skin...MORE

Vegetable Gardening: It Really Is Worth the Work!
I sit here on a Monday morning- tired, sunburned, and sore. I have a long weekend preparing the vegetable garden behind me, and a lot of long weekends tending it ahead. Then, I spotted this article in the New York Times by my favorite author, Michael Pollan. Now I feel great, it is all worth it. I'm doing something! If everyone did one thing, like grow their own food, imagine how much it would change in the world.
This article is a must read! Why Bother? The Green Issue - New York Times
A Touch of the News

No comments: